OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Underappreciated Works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that the works I listed are underappreciated?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only some
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Underappreciated Works Reply with quote

I think that there are so many of his pieces that go virtually unnoticed for their musicality. Sure, many people have heard of them, but I just want to check and see that I'm not the only person who really reveres these works.

Chopin's 3rd Sonata in B Minor I think is truly a masterpiece, even moreso than the 2nd sonata. Even though I'm only able to play the 3rd movement of it, that alone is just so moving to me. I think he was trying out the sonata form with the 1st one, was delving deeper into [darker] melodies and romanticism in the 2nd, but really hit the jackpot with the 3rd. I'd have to say that the 1st movement is the most fantastic, though, especially its brief mid-section in D Major. Anyway, since you're probably tired of me blabbing about this piece, I'll now blab about another one. Wink

The Tarentelle in A flat Major is one of Chopin's miscellaneous pieces, and I think that one of the reasons that it isn't especially famous is that it isn't bright and vivacious like tarantelles usually are. It is quite mellow, and Chopin seemed to change it from an Italian dance to a rather Polish sounding affair. The first time I heard the first several bars, I had the piece stuck in my head for weeks! Also, the ending sounds very heroic, and I personally believe that this work was a minor experiment of Chopin's.
Well, I'm done my rambling, but I'll just give a list of some other pieces that I like and think are underappreciated:
-All rondos (probably his most underappreciated works)
-Allegro de Concert in A Major
-All piano variations (except Hexameron variation)
-Funeral March in C Minor (beautiful trio in mid-section)

Give me your thoughts on this, and thanks for taking the time to read this.
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that sonata No.3 is overshadowed by No.2. Sonata No.3 is perfect in every aspect of a traditional sonata, even though slightly modifed. Sonata No.2 is a big jump: no composer in history had ever done so before. The "Grave" part in the first movement is an example. Its effect is indescribable.

All rondos and variations are good. However I'm not especially interested in the Tarantella Op.43. Maybe I need to listen to it more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the Funeral March Op.72-2 in Cm. I like it even better than the famous funeral march from the 2nd sonata.
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only things I personally like about either of them are the beautiful middle sections (are they trios?).
lol_nl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that Sonata No. 3 is somewhat overshadowed by Sonata No. 2. When Sonata No. 2 was first published, almost nobody liked it. If I'm right, Liszt, Schumann, Mendelssohn and others all detested the work. Today, I feel the appreciation for the second sonata is only due to its originality and 'rareness'. The third sonata is somewhat more traditional and therefore probably less known, but in direct sense, comparing No. 2 to No. 3, I think I prefer No. 3.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MorrisseyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I believe that Chopin's works for piano and orchestra are underated. Not just the concerti, but also his Krakowiak rondo, the "La ci darem la mano" variations and his Grande Polonaise Brilliante. These three pieces are brilliant, and they show a different side of Chopin; a bright, joyful side which we don't see in his later works. I think that people are too obsessed with Chopin's melancholy to notice these works, and dismiss them as 'childish'. Sure, they may not be his best works, (musically speaking,) but they are worthy of more recognition then they recieve.
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each composer have his youth works that are is less quality. Of course the rondos including cracoviak are not the real Chopin we all know and love. He may needed to write some pieces that are today less considered than most of his works in order to reach his special, top quality style.
however, one of the most uniqe parts about him is the fact that by the age of 19 he was totally mature in his soul, according to the music he wrote in this age (2 concerti, first nocturnes, first scherzo 1-2 years later, some etudes). We can see some small changes in the character works like fantasy op. 49 and polonaise fantasy.
But generally from this point and on most of his pieces are in the highest quality. I thing the rondos where written before 19 and they are less quality (of course me and you wouldn't have shame of writing them...)
Chopin requires so much from the pianist.
wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not quite sure about the quality. Even composed during his youth, the early polonaises come from an adult's mind, even deeper than some of Mozart's simple piano work. Young Chopin's mind is older than old Mozart's mind. It's not quite appropriate to compare Mozart and Chopin since Chopin loves Mozart and follows him in lots of his works. The quality of Chopin's early works we are talking about here is compare to the quality of his late works. Of course they are not of the same style. I still don't know if people prefer his late style or early style. Critics in his time of course admire his virtuoso in his early works such as concertos, etudes, and grande polonaise. Like Liszt, his late works are harder to understand and more varied in both form and tone. We may see them as innovations and love them after a certain age. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: