OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bach's effect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin vs other composers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enchantedpianist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Bach's effect Reply with quote

I see that Chopin's preludes really reflect Bach. The number of pieces is also 24. All pieces change key signatures with no duplicate. Can anyone think of anything else?

But I am wondering why there is no fugue after each prelude?
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that fugues were out of style by Chopin's time, even though he did write one. They weren't popular enough for him to write 24 of them.
enchantedpianist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny though since Chopin did write a single fugue. I think Chopin is the first composer who dare to write preludes without fugues. Chopin's contemporary friend, Mendelssohn, still wrote a couple preludes with fugues.
Pianoman1992

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Prokofiev also do the same? I'm glad Chopin didn't write fugues after the preludes, as I'm not too fond of them. Kind of boring, I think.
nocturne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach's effect Reply with quote

enchantedpianist wrote:
I see that Chopin's preludes really reflect Bach. The number of pieces is also 24. All pieces change key signatures with no duplicate. Can anyone think of anything else?

Well ... I was under the impression Chopin's preludes were like "impressionistic" sketches of music, illustrating fleeting emotional thoughts or scenes instead of being polished, stiff works. I believe they are more improvisatory in nature, the reason why they seem so vivid. Besides, most of them are only a few lines long. To me, the reason why Chopin left the preludes alone and made them so short is to illustrate the idea of them being brief sketches in time, seeing a scene as if in real time, short, but beautiful for the present moment.
Pianoman1992

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't quite think the preludes are "impressionistic," I do agree that they serve as sketches that illustrate how Chopin felt at the moment.
nocturne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bach's effect Reply with quote

enchantedpianist wrote:

I wrote recently about their similarities, but apparently more of Chopin's preludes have been discovered. Did he write a second set of them, like Bach, were they practise, extra, for fun...?

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin vs other composers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: