OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chopin's hands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin as pianist
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enchantedpianist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Chopin's hands Reply with quote

What do you think of Chopin's hands? Are they big? I see that not many Chopin's pieces require huge stretch of the fingers.
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right that not many of them do require huge hands. The exceptions, though, would be Prelude in E-flat Major (I forget which number) and especially Nocturne in C Minor (not the posthumous one). The middle section in C Major is so difficult that my huge hands (I can stretch an 12th and I'm 14 years old) have to arppeggiate it. I know because I was just playing it 15 minutes ago.

Although Chopin's hands were said to be small and frail looking, I'm sure that he could at least stretch a 13th or 14th on the keyboard. You don't hear too much about his hands. Very Happy
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Chopin's hands are not as big as Liszt's. This may explain why Chopin found Liszt to be the ideal interpreter of his etudes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although his hands are not big, I think they're among the most sensitive ones in the world... just based on his compositions!
Dean

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Chopin Museum Museum in Warsaw, Poland and there is a model of his hand there. It is indeed small.

In addition he wrote that his 4th finger is wick but he use it in a way in which the listeners can't hear this.

I feel that i should say that English isn't my main language because i a m from Israel.
enchantedpianist

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I was at Chopin Museum Museum in Warsaw, Poland and there is a model of his hand there. It is indeed small.

In addition he wrote that his 4th finger is wick but he use it in a way in which the listeners can't hear this.

I feel that i should say that English isn't my main language because i a m from Israel.

I think you meant that his 4th finger is weak. Well, that finger is the weakest one in our hands. I remember reading somewhere or watching a movie about Schumann that he destroy his hands by trying to make that finger as strong as possible with some tools. Rolling Eyes
Dean

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is one story.
well I said "4th finger" and i mean it...

There is a french composer from the Renaissance, i think, named Lully. He caused himself a serious wound in his leg while conducing an orchestra with a long stick. As a result a contamination developed and he died.
This story and Schumann's one are good examples of industrial accidents...
lol_nl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pianoman1992 wrote:

Although Chopin's hands were said to be small and frail looking, I'm sure that he could at least stretch a 13th or 14th on the keyboard.

Maybe in his time, but today most grands have much broader keys than his Pleyel had, so today he could maybe reach a 9th at most Wink.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me wonder if Chopin could really play his complete sets of etudes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nocturne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chopin's hands Reply with quote

enchantedpianist wrote:
What do you think of Chopin's hands? Are they big? I see that not many Chopin's pieces require huge stretch of the fingers.

I was told by my theory teacher that his thumb was especially well-developed, facilitating leaps, etc. Since she has small hands she joked that if you're ever in need of a better way to reach large intervals and such, do thumb exercises! Wink
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chopin's hands Reply with quote

nocturne wrote:
enchantedpianist wrote:

I was told by my theory teacher that his thumb was especially well-developed, facilitating leaps, etc. Since she has small hands she joked that if you're ever in need of a better way to reach large intervals and such, do thumb exercises! Wink

It's too late for me now Smile My hands are small and I haven't exercised my thumbs enough. Well, I may just pick the works that don't require too much of finger stretch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin as pianist All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: