OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Chopin compose at the piano?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin as composer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorrisseyMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Did Chopin compose at the piano? Reply with quote

I've always wondered if Chopin composed at his piano, or heard the music in his head. Does anyone out there know?
PJF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He loved to improvise for hours on end. Anecdotes of the wonderful sounds he produced abound.

Pete
lol_nl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He improvised a lot, indeed. Some of these improvisations he would work out into pieces. But it's said that he had problems composing without piano, the reason why his first period on Mallorca wasn't very productive. He needed a piano, which was sent to him from France.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I saw some Chopin films and Chopin mostly composed ar the piano. However, was it because he couldn't recognize the exact notes?
nocturne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJF wrote:
He loved to improvise for hours on end. Anecdotes of the wonderful sounds he produced abound.

I heard the story that Chopin composed the "Raindrop" prelude as imitation of raindrops on the rooftops at Majorca, improvised. There's another story that it was improvised when he thought George Sand and Maurice died in a storm.

That's what I heard from a biography. Like Mozart, Bach, etc., he was a FABULOUS improviser. He was ten, I believe, and apparently improvised for the Csar of Russia, eventually composing a march for him, which the Csar ordered to be transcribed for a brass band. Chopin then evidently exclaimed, "Look! I wrote that!", or something childishly semi-conceited of that nature ... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin as composer All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: