OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Chopin anti-Semitic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Was Chopin anti-Semitic? Reply with quote

If you read here in your left you can see that I am from Israel. So you can understand that I am jew. So I would like to discuss a little this issue: was Chopin antisemitic? I heard few things that support the claim that he was. However, I read also that the Rotshield family helped him. And his music...
Well I don't know. Look at Rubinstein, Horowitz, Ashkenazi... they are all jews. So what do you think?
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm as well Jewish, and I looked into the claim a few years ago. Chopin was not really anti-Semetic. He did, however, often have a few things to say about his Jewish music publishers. No one has really found an account of Chopin speaking cruelly about Jews in general. He actually said that if he had to work with a Jewish person, to have him be Orthodox. Because it seems like it was only a few comments here and there, and they were nearly all directed toward his publishers, I wouldn't call Chopin anti-Semetic.

Robert Schumann, on the other hand, was extremely anti-Semetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Life All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: