OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lang Lang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Young pianists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Lang Lang Reply with quote

I think Lang Lang is hilarious. He's not ashamed of looking ridiculous. He thinks he's the best and can perform any work. I've seen his performance of Hungarian Rhapsody No.2. It's so vulgar!
Dean

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things he have done in such a young age are amazing (all his records and stuff) but as a pianist he is mainly a virtuoso. mainly show-off.
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lang Lang has been performing in the Verizon Hall at Kimmel Center for performing arts here in Philadelphia every year but I didn't attend any. I just don't like his expression, even though his interpretation of Nocturne Op.27-2 on youtube is excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MorrisseyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I don't care for Lang Lang too much. He's a "classical music rockstar". Just sits there and shows off, without any attention to what the music is trying to communicate. Sure Liszt was a showoff as well, but his music still communicates something. Lang Lang takes away the musical value and leaves nothing but virtuosity.
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiziGLe1jBw

You might think that it is stupid, or funny, but he goes back to the tunic in the end, if you listen properly...
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiziGLe1jBw

You might think that it is stupid, or funny, but he goes back to the tunic in the end, if you listen properly...

It's scary though! What kind of decent pianist could show off like him? I can listen to him playing, but sorry I cannot look at him playing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

though he is very successful. How ..?
He was here in Israel this year, playing Thaikovsky's 1st concerto, Bartok's 2nd and Brahm's 1st.

But where is Yundi Li? I am very impressed by him after the Chopin competition in 2000 but where is he in the last 7 years?
Actually he came to Israel last year playing Liszt's first...
nocturne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lang Lang Reply with quote

wanderer wrote:
I think Lang Lang is hilarious. He's not ashamed of looking ridiculous. He thinks he's the best and can perform any work. I've seen his performance of Hungarian Rhapsody No.2. It's so vulgar!

Ugh...Lang Lang. He makes every action SO exaggerated in order to impress people; so typical of Liszt as well. He is one of the pride and joys of China, but I'd rather call his work "showmanship" rather than emotional prowess. I can't watch him perform; it's far too distracting when one is listening to the music, which is the thing I really want to enjoy.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
though he is very successful. How ..?
He was here in Israel this year, playing Thaikovsky's 1st concerto, Bartok's 2nd and Brahm's 1st.

But where is Yundi Li? I am very impressed by him after the Chopin competition in 2000 but where is he in the last 7 years?
Actually he came to Israel last year playing Liszt's first...

Yundi Li is different from Lang Lang. Li was trained in China. Lang Lang has more international exposure and I think that makes him more likely to be in the glory of a modern rockstar.

Li is recording for DG classics I think. I have his DVD of 4 Chopin scherzos, and some Liszt.
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Lang Lang Reply with quote

Well, I attended a piano recital by Lang Lang at Philly Kimmel Center's Verizon Hall on March 16 and it somehow changed my mind. Lang Lang is actually very expressive in romantic works, especially his sensitive touch for the soft notes. However, the virtuosic showoff is still there. His reading of Chopin's Polonaise Op.53 was too fast and too exaggerated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Young pianists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: