OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes this site legal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lol_nl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: What makes this site legal? Reply with quote

It seems to me very illegal to just provide recordings of famous pianists. Usually we have to pay for it. I love this site, but won't the authorities or anyone else shut it down when they discover that here are so many free MP3s?
Even if the names of the pianists are not enclosed, it still seems illegal to me.
And yet it has won so many prizes.. If this site was illegal it wouldn't have won so many prizes.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PJF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although technically illegal, I feel recordings shared for pedagogical use are fine. I feel this way because anyone can go to the library, obtain any recording and easily rip the music to a computer. I have an enormous music library comprised almost entirely of ripped files of CD's from my local library.

The ethical line is crossed, IMO, when we copy and redistribute CD's.

Pete
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided not to store the complete Chopin mp3 on my domain anymore to make this site legal. Fortunately, another site accepted to store them even though it has nothing to do with music over there. So I will delete all mp3 files off the server soon.

Last edited by chopin on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad that this website no longer hosts mp3 but I checked the linked URL and saw that the other party at that linked URL in the complete music section copied almost the same format and mp3 sources to their domain. We just have to go there for mp3. Lucky us, huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Anything All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: