OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chopin's Philosophy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin as pianist
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Chopin's Philosophy Reply with quote

His main concern was making a beautiful sound. He loathed speed for speed's sake. All physical tension exasperated him. He would spend little time on stage and lots of time practicing. He loved Bach's music. He was friends with Franz Liszt. His favorite melody of his was the main theme in his etude Op10 No3.

Helooooooooo, anybody there? It sure is empty in here. Things will pick up, I'm sure. Laughing

Pete
lol_nl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the critics weren't very positive all the time. His concerts varied from excellent to dull. His debut in Paris was quite succesful I believe, but he also gave some less good concerts. When playing his first or second concerto some members of the orchestra said that he was a good pianist but couldn't compose. It's true that Chopin's orchestration is pretty weak.

His playing was also characterized by it's charm and softness. One of his first concerts was very succesful, but the critics did say that he played very soft, making it hard to hear for the audience in the back rows. In general he didn't like concerts, and he gave not more than 40 in his whole life. Instead he preferred to play in salons, making fame as a salon pianist.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chopin's Philosophy Reply with quote

PJF wrote:
His main concern was making a beautiful sound. He loathed speed for speed's sake. All physical tension exasperated him. He would spend little time on stage and lots of time practicing. He loved Bach's music. He was friends with Franz Liszt. His favorite melody of his was the main theme in his etude Op10 No3.

Helooooooooo, anybody there? It sure is empty in here. Things will pick up, I'm sure. Laughing

He loved zpeed. Dat's why he marked his Etudes at nearly inhuman zpeedz.

Tru. Cool
PJF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this iz true, but, he had a gross aversion to speed for the sake of showing off. He hated that.

Pete
MorrisseyMan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, PJF. Chopin could go ridiculously fast (Sonata in B Minor, any movement except the third) but he didn't go fast for the sake of it. Speed to him was just another "vehicle" to express himself in a different way.
PJF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. He placed first priority on making the music sound musical, virtuosity was incidental.

Pete
lol_nl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chopin's Philosophy Reply with quote

Ninja wrote:
PJF wrote:

He loved zpeed. Dat's why he marked his Etudes at nearly inhuman zpeedz.

Tru. Cool

LoL let me guess.. you are from Da Speed Demon Community (www.dasdc.com)?

Speedz iznt evrythin he wanted, he preferedz makin muzik.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Chopin and Mozart did not belong to the school of virtuoso of Beethoven and Liszt. Chopin and Mozart came from haven Very Happy
enchantedpianist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozart's music is sleepy, as Bach's Evil or Very Mad I don't know why... Maybe because I haven't played enough.
PJF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to think of Mozart's music as simple, instead of sleepy. Look up 'galant style' or 'style galant' and you will understand his motivation. A prime example of style galant (a style of graceful elegance) is his K330.

Chopin had a similar philosophy, althogh his music is more complex, evidence of the improvements to the piano in the early to mid 1800's.

Pete
lol_nl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be able to understand why someone who loves Chopin would hate Mozart.

Chopin admired Mozart very much. Their styles have something in common. They both compose in an "easy" way, making the simplicity of the piece one of the most important characteristics of their pieces (that doesn't mean they are easy to play; the easier the piece, the harder to play). They both composed wonderful melodies and have much more in common. Just before his death, Chopin said: "Play Mozart in memory of me".

wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozart's music is bright and colorful. Chopin's is a bit darker, I think ???
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While his music is usually a little bit darker, I would say that Chopin's pieces are much more rich and deep in texture than Mozart. Mozart's music is almost too simple for me. Chopin's works are also a little bit more freeflowing in musicality than Mozart, who always kept strict time and never experimented a whole lot in terms of melodies. I know that the main reason for this is when the two lived in relation to each other, but I still believe Mozart kept his music too pure. I also believe that this topic should be moved to the Chopin vs. Mozart section Wink .
wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. No more Mozart in here. I started a thread in Chopin vs Mozart so that we can continue our discussion.
nocturne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJF wrote:
Yes this iz true, but, he had a gross aversion to speed for the sake of showing off. He hated that.

Good for Mr. Chopin! All piano teachers would kill their students if they sped up to show off. Learned this early in my "career"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin as pianist All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: