OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Concertos as String quartets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Concertos as String quartets? Reply with quote

Someone asked me if Chopin wrote an arrangement of the orchestral part for a string quartet to his both piano concertos?

I'm not quite sure about this. Here's the link: http://inkpot.com/classical/chopfcbr.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard anything like this!! I'd need more proof to authenticate these statements, but if they're true - WOW!! I personally like piano concertos better than string quartets, but I'd love to find out more about this.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this either. I don't think that Chopin intended his concertos to be for string quartet. Both concertos, fantasy 13, and rondo 14 are for piano and orchestra.
Dean

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually Chopin wrote an arrangment of the orchestral part of his concertos for a string quartet in order to practice with a quartet before a prefprmance with the orchestra.

I am the one who asked the manager about it because i play the seccond concerto in f minor and i wanted to know for sure if the chamber version of this concerto exists (i read about one of the 1th concerto in e minor). I like this composition so much. I may will play it with a string quartet as a preparation for the finall round of an israeli piano competition - a concerto round with an orchestra.

I am from Israel, so English isn't my main language but i hope you understand me well.
nocturne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderer wrote:
I've never heard of this either. I don't think that Chopin intended his concertos to be for string quartet. Both concertos, fantasy 13, and rondo 14 are for piano and orchestra.

I agree. What are you talking about? Chopin was a pianist, to the musical core. He would be outraged! The orchestral sounds mingling with the piano is completely the sound he would have desired. Taking the piano out altogether and replacing lush, orchestral sounds with mere violins, viola, and cello is like blasphemy...to me, at least!
nocturne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Concertos as String quartets? Reply with quote

chopin wrote:
Someone asked me if Chopin wrote an arrangement of the orchestral part for a string quartet to his both piano concertos?

I'm not quite sure about this. Here's the link: http://inkpot.com/classical/chopfcbr.html

I'm sorry, there's someone playing the piano too. So it's not completely bad Wink
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocture, It's a fact that Chopin wrote some arrangements of the orchestral part of his concertos to string quartet in order to practice in an intimate eviroment. Anyway, Chopin's orchestration is quite weak. It gives the right mood and acompanies the piano in a good way, but not beyond. And it doesn't interrupt my enjoyment from those masterpieces. Believe me, I play the seccond. It's even seem to be a lovely quiet dialog beetween the piano and the orchestra in some short parts. But what I am trying to say is that playing an arrengment instead of the orchestral version - an arrengment that Chopin himself wrote - isn't so bad...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: