OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ballades - programmed music?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Ballades - programmed music? Reply with quote

Chopin was against programmed music. However he was directly influenced by some specific ballades by Adam Mickiewicz when he wrote he's. What do you think?
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know he was against giving specific titles to his works, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have his own idea as to what his music sounded like.
I think the ballades are as close to programmed music as Chopin came. And I did see somewhere the specific stories the ballades tell...

Oh, and look up ballade on wikipedia: it says a ballade "refers to a one-movement musical piece with lyrical and dramatic narrative qualities." Ballades were afterall poems long before Chopin came around.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pianoman1992 wrote:
Well, I know he was against giving specific titles to his works, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have his own idea as to what his music sounded like.
I think the ballades are as close to programmed music as Chopin came. And I did see somewhere the specific stories the ballades tell...

Oh, and look up ballade on wikipedia: it says a ballade "refers to a one-movement musical piece with lyrical and dramatic narrative qualities." Ballades were afterall poems long before Chopin came around.

Yes, that's true. Chopin made these ballades more than just a poem. It contains almost everything you want to be in. I didn't read those poems though! I just knew the general idea of those poems. They're not quite helpful in understanding the ballades.
nocturne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballades - programmed music? Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Chopin was against programmed music. However he was directly influenced by some specific ballades by Adam Mickiewicz when he wrote he's. What do you think?

I don't believe it's a strict interpretation of the poems, but I won't go into that. I like to think the ballades are interpretations of the emotions themselves. Or interpretations of something much, much deeper... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: