OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impromptu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baroquevn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Impromptu Reply with quote

As we know, Chopin composed 4 impromptus, Impromptu No. 1, A flat major, Op. 29, Impromptu No. 2, F sharp major, Op. 36, Impromptu No.3, G flat major, Op. 51, Impromptu Fantaisie-Impromptu, C sharp minor, Op. 66. But, for the "Impromptu Fantaisie-Impromptu, C sharp minor, Op. 66 ". I have seen somewhere they wrote " Impromptu No. 4, C sharp minor, Op. 66, everyone please tell me that is correct or in correct? Crying or Very sad
wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Impromptu Reply with quote

baroquevn wrote:
As we know, Chopin composed 4 impromptus, Impromptu No. 1, A flat major, Op. 29, Impromptu No. 2, F sharp major, Op. 36, Impromptu No.3, G flat major, Op. 51, Impromptu Fantaisie-Impromptu, C sharp minor, Op. 66. But, for the "Impromptu Fantaisie-Impromptu, C sharp minor, Op. 66 ". I have seen somewhere they wrote " Impromptu No. 4, C sharp minor, Op. 66, everyone please tell me that is correct or in correct? Crying or Very sad

Impromptu in C# minor or "Fantaisie-impromptu" was numbered the fourth, but actually the first one to be composed. Chopin composed it in 1834 but didn't publish it. It was until after his death that Chopin's friend Julian Fontana published it in 1855 and added "Fantaisie" into its title. According to music critic James Huneker, the title "Fantaisie" seems to be superfluous since this impromptu shares the same characteristics as other three. We cannot say that Chopin composed three impromtus and one fantaisie-impromptu as if the fantaisie-impromptu is something totally unrelated to other three impromtus. The conventional numbering method for Chopin's work follows the opus order. We have Impromptus Op.29, 36, 51, and 66. Numbers 1,2,3,4 are not official. The same reasoning follows for the Polonaise-fantaisie Op.61. It's a polonaise, hands down!
baroquevn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...Yes, Thank you very much. So, I got misunderstading Laughing or something like that.
nocturne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Impromptu Reply with quote

baroquevn wrote:

Well, it doesn't matter, but it is more of an impromptu anyway. "Fantasie" is more of an add-on, as someone already mentioned. Chopin didn't originally like the piece anyway, some sort of "remake" of the Beethoven Moonlight sonata [although the only resemblance I see is the key...haha]
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's very interesting you mentioned moonlight sonata of Beethoven in this context!
you right, the key is the same, but there are few more similarities: the arpegios of the 3 movement, the stormy mood, and more than that - there in one passage which is absolutely the same in bout pieces!!
It's in the end of the moonlight 3rd movement (14 bars from the end), and in the 7th - 8th bars of the Impromtu no. 4 (3rd beat). It goed like that: (left to the right)

B A G# F# E D# F# C# B# D# A G# F# A E D# F# C# B# D# A G# B A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: