OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allegretto in F-sharp Major

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pianoman1992

Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Allegretto in F-sharp Major Reply with quote

Just like the Canon and the Flute Variations, I was astounded when I saw this Allegretto listed. I had never heard of it before. Was this composition discovered recently?

It sounds very nice and complete, almost like a miniature mazurka. I want to know everything about this piece!

It's so exciting for me that new Chopin compositions are still being discovered. If only we could find those lost waltzes...
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Allegretto in F-sharp Major Reply with quote

Pianoman1992 wrote:
Just like the Canon and the Flute Variations, I was astounded when I saw this Allegretto listed. I had never heard of it before. Was this composition discovered recently?

It sounds very nice and complete, almost like a miniature mazurka. I want to know everything about this piece!

It's so exciting for me that new Chopin compositions are still being discovered. If only we could find those lost waltzes...

This work was not recently discovered. It has been listed in one of the Chopin wiki work lists but no one pays any attention to it. The music was recorded by Cyprien Katsaris. I found only some quotes related to this Allegretto from the National Chopin Edition, which are posted under "Work list" / Work without opus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Pianoman1992

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean Wikipedia? I just looked there and they don't have anything about it. All I could find was information about the Katsaris CD when I googled it.

When was it discovered? I have never heard a thing about it.
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pianoman1992 wrote:
Do you mean Wikipedia? I just looked there and they don't have anything about it. All I could find was information about the Katsaris CD when I googled it.

When was it discovered? I have never heard a thing about it.

I don't know when people discovered it. These are the two quotes I found about the Allegretto.

"My manner of playing, which once again was much appreciated by the ladies, and especially by Miss Blahetka, Vienna's foremost lady pianist, who must have admired me when, on parting, she gave me as a keepsake a hand-signed composition of her own." - From a letter sent by Chopin to Tytus Woyciechowski in Poturzyn, Warsaw 12 Sep 1829

"I became acquainted with this composition in Vienna in the year of 1857; it was commonly held there (as the publisher himself stated) to have come from the album of the former pianist Leopoldyna Blahetka." - From a letter sent by Oskar Kolberg to Maurycy Karasowski in Poznan, Kraków, 12 Apr 1885

This wiki version has the Allegretto listed in the work list. http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Chopin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Pianoman1992

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find this so... weird. Although there are compositions of Chopin's that are extremely minor, like the bourees, cantabile, largo, and galop marquis, they are still heard on occasion and featured in some CDs. I even saw the Canon in F Minor listed in some places before it came onto this site. The piece in question is apparently known, but why is it not recognized more often? Some complete Chopin works lists I've seen list pieces I've never heard of or seen, yet none of them (except the one you gave) list this Allegretto.

Maybe scholars don't believe that this is an authentic Chopin work. From the quotes you gave, it seems like it must be. Even if it isn't works like the posthumous Polonaise in G-flat Major are considered spurious but are included in books, lists, and CDs.

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: