OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Chopin's music kind of weak?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enchantedpianist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Is Chopin's music kind of weak? Reply with quote

I meant the unconventional structure, the sad melody, the unexpected modulation. It is totally not as academic as Bach's although Chopin said he admired Bach ?! Someone even said that Chopin's music was not chic. I am confused now Sad
MorrisseyMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Chopin's music is just as strong as Bach's. He was just as intelectual about composition, only in a different way. He created his own forms, possibly because his own sense of symmetry forced him to do so. Also, the modulations were why he is remembered, and why he is known as one of the great composers. Unconventional modulations aren't the mark of a weak composer, rather, they are the mark of a strong one, as he isn't afraid to go against the convention of the last few centuries. For example, Schoenberg is still known for the twelve-tone method, which doesn't use conventional scales, but is still one of the most intellectual ways of composing ever.

And I don't believe Chopin is always sad... Just look at his F# major Impromptu, any Waltz in a major key, a few of the Nocturnes, and the prime example: the Polonaise in A flat major, op. 53.
PJF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopin's waltz in E-flat (No. 1) is downright ebullient. Nothing sad there!

Pete
lol_nl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe you can call them "weak". They are different and composed in another era. In the Romantic Era it was the habit of composers to compose in a style comparable to Chopin (not exactly the same of course). In Baroque the compositions were just more fixed and the composer had to compose more things according to musical laws. That doesn't make it stronger (although Bach's compositions are VERY succesful Baroque compositions and therefore maybe "stronger").

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chopin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach and Chopin belong to different periods. Therefore the structural form in their music cannot be the same. Chopin is an innovator of piano music. His transformation of old structures and invention of new forms are amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nocturne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorrisseyMan wrote:
I believe that Chopin's music is just as strong as Bach's. He was just as intelectual about composition, only in a different way. He created his own forms, possibly because his own sense of symmetry forced him to do so. Also, the modulations were why he is remembered, and why he is known as one of the great composers. Unconventional modulations aren't the mark of a weak composer, rather, they are the mark of a strong one, as he isn't afraid to go against the convention of the last few centuries. For example, Schoenberg is still known for the twelve-tone method, which doesn't use conventional scales, but is still one of the most intellectual ways of composing ever.

And I don't believe Chopin is always sad... Just look at his F# major Impromptu, any Waltz in a major key, a few of the Nocturnes, and the prime example: the Polonaise in A flat major, op. 53.

I would agree utterly and completely. Look at his Polonaises, heroic, majestic, and patriotic. Scherzi, dark and sometimes humourous. Waltzes, refined, graceful, elegant. I could go on...Barcarolle, Tarantelle...Preludes...seriously, how could one even dare compare Chopin to something remotely "weak"? More like a spectrum of wonderful emotions, brought about by colourful harmonies and incredibly idiomatic writing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: