OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sonata No.2 : Death & Funeral

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wanderer



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Sonata No.2 : Death & Funeral Reply with quote

I love this sonata so much. It's so special, even from the beginning. The "Grave" part in the 1st movement is so unique! Its effect is indescribable. I think no other composers dare to do so.

I wonder where death begins in this sonata since the funeral march is movement 3. So movement 4 is the night at the cemetery after the funeral. Maybe movement 2? Or movement 1?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lol_nl



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 32
Location: Ede, Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think death plays a role in the whole piece. The beginning of the piece is the beginning of a slow, painful death. The scherzo characterizes something that has to do with the death. The funeral march displays a funeral and the final section is the after death, where is chaos.
_________________
Yiteng

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninov
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nocturne



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 26
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sonata No.2 : Death & Funeral Reply with quote

wanderer wrote:
I love this sonata so much. It's so special, even from the beginning. The "Grave" part in the 1st movement is so unique! Its effect is indescribable. I think no other composers dare to do so.

I wonder where death begins in this sonata since the funeral march is movement 3. So movement 4 is the night at the cemetery after the funeral. Maybe movement 2? Or movement 1?


I agree with Yiteng...the first movement to me though, is like contrast between Hell and Heaven [the two contrast of dark and light themes]. The scherzo is like a dance or a march or a processional of death. The funeral march...well you can figure that one out yourself. Wink The last movement is yes, chaos. Therefore everything in general in the sonata describes something about death in someway. But I need to stress, please DO NOT, in any way, try to force the ideas of previous nicknames or titles of pieces by Chopin as the final verdict about what the piece is describing. Besides, most were assigned after Chopin's death, not by the genius himself. Take away from the piece what YOU hear, please. Music is about everyone's interpretations, not just some random editors' [well, they're not random, but just think for yourself, okay?] Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dean



Joined: 12 May 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Israel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the inspiration behind this piece?
It was finished in 1839. Chopin at that time wasn't badly ill yet, so I am doubted if the funeral march was written about himself. But he himself wrote as a title to the 3rd movement "funeral march", so there is something about death in the matter.
It's interesting to note that the 3rd beautiful sonata in B minor was written a long time after the 2nd was written, but it's much more bright and optimistic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chopin
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 72
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
What was the inspiration behind this piece?
It was finished in 1839. Chopin at that time wasn't badly ill yet, so I am doubted if the funeral march was written about himself. But he himself wrote as a title to the 3rd movement "funeral march", so there is something about death in the matter.
It's interesting to note that the 3rd beautiful sonata in B minor was written a long time after the 2nd was written, but it's much more bright and optimistic.


He wrote the funeral march first and put other movements together to make the sonata. Schumann didn't like the idea of doing so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dean



Joined: 12 May 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Israel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chopin wrote:
He wrote the funeral march first and put other movements together to make the sonata. Schumann didn't like the idea of doing so.


Well it'a really funny, because Schumann himself wrote his piano concerto in A minor also not all movements together: he wrote the Allegro first and only after few years added the Intermezzo and finalle (together). But it's a beautifull concerto anyway.

Anyway it doesn't answer my question: Who is dead?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderer



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
chopin wrote:
He wrote the funeral march first and put other movements together to make the sonata. Schumann didn't like the idea of doing so.


Well it'a really funny, because Schumann himself wrote his piano concerto in A minor also not all movements together: he wrote the Allegro first and only after few years added the Intermezzo and finalle (together). But it's a beautifull concerto anyway.

Anyway it doesn't answer my question: Who is dead?!


I think Chopin was dead in his imagination. He wrote the funeral march for himself, like Mozart with his Requiem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pianoman1992



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 61
Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Chopin was quite dead in his imagination, but he was definitely fascinated with death. I think that was one thing he thought about often, even if it wasn't necessarily pertaining to himself. His interest in death probably caused him to write the funeral march, and he later decided to write an entire sonata about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderer



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pianoman1992 wrote:
I don't think Chopin was quite dead in his imagination, but he was definitely fascinated with death. I think that was one thing he thought about often, even if it wasn't necessarily pertaining to himself. His interest in death probably caused him to write the funeral march, and he later decided to write an entire sonata about it.


But why was Chopin interested in death? It seems that he was quite pessimistic and always in the sad mood. I think this nostalgic status of his and paying homage to his homeland accumulated over time after he settled in Paris, which made the idea of death wander in his mind???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pianoman1992



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 61
Location: Horsham, Pennsylvania (half an hour away from Philly)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of his sisters died while he was pretty young, and I think having a death so close to him led him to think about death a lot. The thousands who died in Poland under Russian occupation probably affected him a lot as well.

While in Paris, several of his friends died, as did his father. That's not to say that people usually don't have close friends and family who die, but it definitely affected the very emotional Chopin to a great extent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Chopin's Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group