OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index OURCHOPIN FORUM
CHOPIN: THE POET OF THE PIANO

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chopin's Etude Opus 10, No.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Chopin's Etude Opus 10, No.1 Reply with quote

Here's some of my thoughts about the 10/1. Anyone, feel free to add comments.

First, make sure you use the fingering pattern 5-4-2-1. I emphasise the 2 on purpose, it acts as a pivot, to aid the frictionless transfer of angular velocity via conservation of angular momentum, qualities often erroneously attributed to downward force, when in fact, the least amount of downward force must be used! Imagine, if you will, the bones of the upper body as a bicycle. Imagine your vertebrae and shoulder girdle as the bike's frame, the arm bones down to where the wrist joins the index finger as the axle, your finger bones as spokes, the piano keyboard as the seamless interaction of the gear and chain, the muscles of your upper body as the cyclist's legs and the soft fingertips as shock absorbing cushion of air in the tires. It would be nonsensical to attempt to propel a bicycle down a long stretch of smooth road by placing it in the gear intended for going uphill. Your legs would be hopelessly flailing 'round and 'round trying to accelerate, but lacking the leverage to do so. It would be equally silly to spasticly jerk your bike to and fro, in a futile effort to make it go faster. It would be far more logical to place the bike in a gear that produced the most forward speed with the least leg motion, maximizing leverage, while keeping the body still and the feet in constant yet gentle contact with the (bicycle) pedals, maximizing efficiency. Use of leverage combined with a seamless legato (efficiency) is crucial to an effortless 10/1. This is the point of difficulty that seperates the brilliant renditions from the adequate ones.

Pete
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't practiced this etude but it seems very hard for me. I cannot stretch my right hand that far without feeling the pain. Maybe I need to practice more.
PJF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hand does not need to stretch. That sounds counterintuitive. It is right, however. This etude grows into you; try playing it as softly, slowly (about mm44) and legato as possible. Give it a year or more. I didn't feel comfortable performing this piece in public for three years. It's a 'lifetime piece' (as are all of Chopin's major works). Treat it as such.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OURCHOPIN FORUM Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: